Wednesday, August 26, 2009

It's all about choices & who's in control...

I keep thinking about how everyday we are faced with millions of decisions - from the moment we wake up - from deciding what we should wear that day, to what to eat for breakfast, to which route to drive to work… Tons of little decisions that we don’t even realize we’re making because we make them so quickly… and then we’re faced with tougher decisions during the day - how to respond to certain situations - how to handle a conflict... We have so many chances to make the wrong choice or to make the right choice… We choose our words - we choose our battles - we choose the kind of attitude we will have as we go about our day. So many choices.


With this said, I think it’s clear that many of us make plenty of poor choices each day. I’ve encountered many people who have simply succumb to their life’s circumstances and have grown angry, bitter, or worn-out - and don’t realize that with a change of heart, their lives can be changed - their circumstances changed. By relinquishing control of their lives, they can have a new life in Christ. I see people so greatly resisting change, even when it’s change that would be for the better, and it doesn’t make sense to me. Life would go much smoother if we would get out of the driver’s seat, hop in the passenger’s side, and hand over the keys to someone who is MUCH better at navigating this path we call life… God knows the plans He has for us - plans to prosper us, not to harm us, plans to give us a hope and a future… Do you want to trust in those plans, or just keep battling life on your own - trying your best to make the right decisions? We all want to be in control - we want to make the right decisions using our own instincts - but really, we aren’t the brightest people and we should probably try a little harder to consult with God before we make lots of the choices we make.


What is God asking you to do today? Does he want you to hand the reigns over to Him once & for all? Is there still a portion of your life that you’re holding onto, for fear of what will happen when God is in control of it?


I am sure that much of the worry & stress that we experience occurs because we are trying to be in control of our lives instead of God.


So I’m learning… as I sit and ponder my future - my family’s future, I think about the power that lies in my decisions, and I realize that I need to desperately cry out for God and listen & hear the choice HE wants me to make. I long to surrender control and listen for God’s wise voice to help me make the right choices every single day - every hour & every moment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AMEN!!!!