Thursday, February 25, 2010

My girls...


My girls are growing up sooo fast! Maya is enrolled in preschool, though I'm sure I already wrote about that, and just this past Tuesday, Chris and I went to a Kindergarten Registration Meeting for Chloe! Ahh! So yes, come next Fall, I will have 2 kids in school... it is hard to believe.

Chloe is definitely ready for Kindergarten - there are quite a few kids in her preschool class whose parents are deciding to NOT send them to Kindergarten, many of whose birthday's fall the same time as Chloe's - the end of July - which is right before the cut-off date of August 1st. So yes, Chloe will be one of the younger kids, but I think she'll do fine. I never get 'bad' reports from her teachers and she is such a smart girl... She's doing really awesome now at writing her name, so now we need to just start practicing her last name. Good news is, our last name has 4 of the same letters as her first, so we just need to really practice on our s, r, i and n! And then it's a matter of getting them all in the right order of course! :) I'm also realizing there are some letter's she doesn't recognize... like the other day she was pointing to a sentence and reading me all the letters in the words and when she got to 'i' she said "a line and a dot" -- aww, shoot -- we obviously need to work on our letters a little more at home. :)

As for Maya, she is way ahead of the game (compared to Chloe at age 3) and she is already working on writing her name... We have yet to perfect the 'y' - but she will write Maaaaaaaaa on everything now. It's very cute. And we must have taught her when making an "M" by saying "up down, up down" since that's how the lines form an "M" but somehow she turned the "up down" phrase into "deep down" and now WHENEVER she sees the letter "M" on something, she yells "Deep Down Maya!" It is sooo hilarious, to the point that I've been calling her Deep Down Maya at times. It's just too funny. :) I got a card in the mail recently and when she saw Maumee on it, she assumed the card was for her and wanted to open it, as she pointed to the "M" and squealed "Deep down Maya!" in excitement. haha! Oh my goodness... this child brings me soo many laughs, she is just beyond a 3 yr old - I'm sure because of all that she's learned from her big sis. :)

Well, one other thing before I go... I'd like some input on the whole kindergarten thing... I thought the state had already passed the mandate that kindergarten would be ALL day starting in the Fall.. but no... so now we have a choice on our hands... Do we send her Mon - Fri from 9 to 11:30... or do we send her Mon - Fri from 9 to 3? I talked to one of the kindergarten teachers after the parent mtg. the other night, to get an idea what MOST parents do, and I was quite surprised to hear that out of 2full classes, only 3 children attend the half-day program.. the rest are there ALL day! Of course the world has changed in recent years and most Mom's work, so perhaps parents just see full day kindergarten as a better option than sending their child to daycare the other half of the day. (By the way, the all-day option is $1,000 in our school district, for the entire year. The half-day program is free.) So what do we do? I was leaning toward the half-day program, but when I heard that a majority of the kids attend a full day, I thought, okay, well that must be the best option, so maybe we WILL do the full day. The other issue I'm thinking about is picking up & dropping off the girls... Maya will attend preschool from 9 to 11:30 on Tues and Thurs - and since I'm new to all this, I wonder - how do you drop kids off at two different places at the SAME time? If Chloe went for a full-day that would solve the 'pick up' problem. And then again, if I let Chloe ride the bus, that would solve the entire problem. Anyhow, there's all my thoughts... I'm open to hearing what anyone has to say. Oh, and another option, the principal said, is that Chloe can change at any point... So maybe she would attend just a half day for the first part of the year, and then we decide to start sending her a full day. (Ahh - can we say, too many options?!)

Okay, I think that's all the news for now.... Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ugg yes, that is a lot of options! Andy's b-day is July 8th 2005, he is going to do a full day of k-garten cause thats the only thing our elementary in TPS offers. so for once it will be a breeze to pick him up and drop him off at the exact time and place as steve. for this yr i've been dropping off steve early and arriving late at andy's school, cause like you said, you can't be in 2 places at once! One thought i do have is that i feel i should keep the kids home as much as possible when they are little, cause soon they will have to be in school all day which means less time with me :( Heather