So let me tell you now why this story popped in my head as I was praying tonight.... My children spend half the day (it seems) fighting & arguing. I get tired of being a referee.. and tired of yelling at my children to stop arguing. And then I feel like I'm not a great parent for yelling at them constantly! So tonight, I didn't feel like doing anything, so I sat on the floor and colored and played with them and then after they fell asleep a little while ago, I thought about how I hadn't broken up any fights all evening... and I thought, hey, maybe there's something for me to learn in all this! I think that I'm a busy-body and I find it hard to just stop and be. I find it hard to stop and just watch my kids play and play along with them.. I tend to spend my time running around.. doing laundry, washing dishes, picking up toys... (hmm, a bit like Martha??) but tonight I didn't - I was Mary... I sat on the floor and I was just present - and I think my kids enjoyed that... (I know they did!) So it seems they tend to fight more when I'm too busy trying to accomplish things and not simply spending quality time with them.
So yes, a lesson learned here... I need to slow down and just enjoy my children, and life in general, because there will always be things to do and my kids aren't going to be little forever and WANT to spend time with me like they do now...
And look how cute they are!
No comments:
Post a Comment