Well, here's the update since last Friday! On Saturday we went to my Mom's for a Thanksgiving dinner - I unfortunately forgot to bring my bag of food which included stuffing and rolls, so upon arrival at her house, Chris drove to Kroger. (Ugh!) Thankfully we did remember the pumpkin pie, which was a good thing. The meal itself was just wonderful - we had turkey which was wonderfully moist and homemade mashed potatoes & gravy which was just perfect, and sweet potatoes covered in brown sugar and melted marshmallows.. and that's all I remember since those are my favorite things. :) After dinner we sat down to decorate our stockings and to me & my Mom's amazement, it was actually a family affair and even all the men were sitting around the table decorating their stockings with glue & glitter. hehe. It was a blessing - to do something like that as a family. My mom hung all 9 stockings on the fireplace and took a picture - I'll be posting some of those later. :)
There wasn't much else exciting that happened over the weekend... Chloe had Thanksgiving dinner at preschool on Tuesday, everyone had to sign up to bring something, so our contribution was special Thanksgiving plates with colorful turkey's on them. :) I don't know how the meal went since my 3 yr. old doesn't share much with me about school usually... I know they had turkey, biscuits which the kids got to make, popcorn, cranberry relish, apple slices, and some kind of dessert. I look forward to getting an e-mail from the Preschool Director soon (I hope!) with pictures of the day's festivities.
While Chloe enjoyed her Thanksgiving celebration at preschool, Maya & I went to Target - she enjoyed browsing the toy aisles & it would take 10 minutes to get down 1 aisle! She loved it. Chloe's latest thing is that she tells us "There is NO Santa" really adamantly and in a mean tone of voice. I don't think anyone has told her those words (I mean, who would say that to a 3 year old?!) When she sees toys on TV and in toy books which she wants, we tell her "We'll have to tell Santa" and that is when she gets mad and says "No, there is no Santa! You have to buy it at toy store!" UGH. I hope once we go to Children's Wonderland or something, and she SEES Santa, she will believe. In the meantime, I almost feel bad just how hard I am trying to convince my child of a lie. It's a fun part of childhood though.. I just feel bad she is so convinced that there is no Santa.
So as for Christmas presents for the girls, Chris and I ordered $200 worth of gift cards for Toys 'R Us using our credit card points. So that means that virutally all the presents we buy for the girls will be free. :) (FYI: Chris racks up the points on his company credit card which he uses on a daily basis when buying materials for jobs..) So we were going to buy them an expensive big kitchen, but I don't know anymore.. we spent lots of money on the doll house for Chloe's b-day and she never uses it. Not to say she won't as she gets older - but who knows! So I looked closely at some of the neat computer/technologically advanced toys - and LeapFrog now has this cool pen that you use with special books, which you have to buy, and it helps you learn to read and you can click on anything on the page and it will tell you what it is and if you point to a word, it reads it... It's just really neat.. It says it's for kids ages 4-8, but I think she'd like it.. Copy & paste the link below to see what I'm talking about:
http://www.target.com/LeapFrog-Tag-Reading-System/dp/B00134O7QU/sr=1-11/qid=1227730971/ref=sr_1_11/176-5355555-9443505?ie=UTF8&index=target&rh=k%3Areading&page=1
And there's other things like this My First Computer thing which has a keyboard that hooks up to your TV... you can see that by going to this web address:
http://www.target.com/Leapfrog-ClickStart-My-First-Computer/dp/B000NRVFV8/qid=1227731399/ref=br_1_7/176-5355555-9443505?ie=UTF8&node=239137011&frombrowse=1&rh=&page=1
So I don't know if we should lean toward buying her things like this, or things like a play kitchen where she has to use her imagination and not her computer skills. :) (Parents, send me your thoughts!)
So tomorrow is Thanksgiving - we will be going to Chris' grandparents house like we do every year, and Chloe & Maya will get to have fun playing with all their little 2nd cousins. :) And all we have to take is a chocolate dessert (Hallelujah! Chocolate desserts are my favorite thing to make!) I look forward to that. Friday Chris says he's going shopping (for what I'm not sure) - however he says this EVERY year and then never goes cuz he can't get his bum out of bed early enough. :)
Life in general has been going better... I am learning alot still from my "Love and Respect" book. I just googled it and the author even has a website called that very thing: http://www.loveandrespect.com/ Visit it if you have a chance (and click on "Free Movies" where he explains some of the awesome concepts of the book.) Oh, and p.s., I pre-ordered the "Fireproof" DVD so come the end of January, if you have not seen this wonderful movie yet, give me a call and you can borrow my DVD. :) I still cannot begin to tell you how important prayer is... and not just meaningless prayer, but prayer from the depth of your heart.. Prayer where you are crying out to God and speaking to Him and believing that He hears you. I have learned it doesn't come easily - it only comes when you are at a point in your life where you TRULY desire change. That is where I am. I got to the point where I said to God that I don't want to continue the path I'm on... I want things to be different and I want the change to begin IN me. If you're not a Christian or if you are, but are just at a standstill in your walk with God, I encourage you to just go to a quiet place & pray, and ask Jesus to help you and to change you. And pray that He would move in such mighty ways that you will see the changes occuring around you and you will be encouraged to continue to be faithful in prayer each day.
Well, I will end it here.. I need to go finish up some work projects, since even though it is Wednesday, it is really like Friday here at work...
I pray that you have a wonderful Thanksgiving and that you truly realize all that you have to be thankful for.
1 comment:
thanks for the heart felt post Kim, glad to hear you are enjoying your thanksgivingS!
since you asked for opinions on what to get the kids for x-mas, i would go for the non-technology options. things that require batteries tend to not require much imagination. i think kids grow up too fast and that they get too little chance to think freely and explore! we have a hand me down little kitchen and a freecycled sponge bob square pants crabby patty shack. you would not believe the fun by older boys have pretending to be at mcdonalds with the fake food etc. so I vote for the kitchen. you could always compromise and buy a cheaper kitchen and a cheaper computer toy too.there is the thought that play food and kitchen utensils will end up all over your house though where as a computer toy will stay put!computer toy is more likely to break though! my 2 cents! have fun shopping!
Heather
Post a Comment