This was the day we left for our wedding adventure weekend... Maya drinking her bottle, as I was trying out possible hairstyles for her for the wedding - her pigtails were quite cute, but I knew they'd be falling out & I'd be putting them back in every 2 mins. so in the end this was not the chosen flower girl hair-do. :)
The girls sitting on the kitchen counter one day - Chloe seems a little grumpy, she probably didn't want her picture taken.

Mom from preschool, Sarah, and little Ryan, who is just 2 months younger than Maya. :) We had a playdate with Ryan & Jonah at their house a few weeks ago.

Jonah and Chloe playing...
So, I have a few things to update about... First, the whole weaning Maya from the bottle is going fabulously - Praise Jesus! She asked for it quite often the first day (which was Monday) but now she only says "ba ba" once a day or so. And since day one, she hasn't thrown a fit when I tell her repeatedly "We don't have ba-ba's anymore." (I said that phrase more times than I can count the first day!) I thought she would have tantrum after tantrum when I'd tell her no more ba-ba - but nope! So that was a blessing... And each day since then she has eaten better & better. I mean, she used to live on milk practically and eat little snacks here & there but that was about it. Now like today, she ate an actual bowl of cereal for breakfast! And she even asked for more when it was gone, and ate the 'more' that I gave her! It was nice when we were at Chris' parents for dinner last night and she actually sat at the table for a decent amount of time, eating with us! Usually she would eat a bite or 2 of food and then want to leave the table & go play. What is strange, though, is that she refuses to drink milk out of a cup. She is now in love with juice - orange juice & apple juice. If she wakes up in the middle of the night, she asks for juice now instead of her ba-ba. So yes, she's still waking up, but each night she has slept a little longer & asked for juice less & less (because she's gradually eating more & more throughout the day.) So I'm just feeling encouraged about the whole thing. :) And I've also learned that I didn't realize how bad it made me feel until now... I felt like a poor parent since I just gave into her and let her drink gallons of milk like crazy, especially when it wasn't completely good for her little insides (the Dr. told me many months ago.) You assume by giving your kids what they want or "spoiling" them pretty much, instead of being a 'disciplined' parent, you would feel better about yourself cuz you're making your kids happy, but you actually feel lousy cuz you are not really parenting - your kids are in control & you are letting them have whatever they want, in order to avoid a tantrum. So I am feeling better as a Mom, gaining control back, and I see this as a major accomplishment. It's amazing how I avoid things for so long, for fear of how awful/stressful it will be (like potty training, or taking away the bottle) and then it is 100 times easier than I imagined when I actually do it. Perhaps it's motherly instinct, though, and suddenly you just know that now is the time to do something... and when you are ready & your child is ready, then it all works out amazingly well. Well, whatever it is, I'm glad it's turned out like it has!
One other bit of news... it looks like we're for sure going to be going on a vacation this June, which is encouraging! Chris' family is going to go with us and we were considering going to the Pocono's in Pennsylvania, but after last night's discussion when we were over for dinner, we were leaning toward going back to the same house in Mackinaw which we loved. I am kinda' torn - I like knowing what to expect and having favorite shops & restaurants to go to, which would be going back to MI - but I also want to do something different by going to PA. I want to go to Hershey Chocolate World and go to Amish country and they also have little kid amusement parks in PA and I think it'd be fun... But I also lean toward Mackinaw because it's only 5 hours or so and going to PA would be about 7 1/2!! (I think we'd have to stay overnight half-way, cuz I'm not torturing myself by driving with 2 little kids for that many hours straight!) So anyway, I'm probably going to be excited no matter where we go, cuz at least it's a vacation!
Well, I think that is all the news for now. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment