Thursday, June 5, 2008

Finally, an update

So today I got to ride in a little red Mazda Miata convertible while at work… The funniest part is, the woman priest here at the Church was the driver! A member of the Church drove it here and wanted us to "take it for a spin..." So we did, and around the beautiful up-scale neighborhood which surrounds the Church… I must say we very much “fit in” driving this little convertible by million dollar houses. haha. So that was a nice little break this morning - I don’t think I’ve ever ridden in a convertible so it was quite the experience, though we were only going 25 mph! hah.

Anyway, we’ve been keeping very busy at home these days, now that the weather has turned warm. (Speaking of warm, today it’s near 90!) We always seem to skip Spring here… and go from 50 degrees to 60 to 90! Ugh. Anyway, the girls want to play outside all the time - their new best friend is Jackson, the 2 year old who lives sort of across the street from us. His daddy built him a swing-set - but the deluxe version - so it’s more of a “play set” and the girls just love it. It’s even complete with a sandbox under the slide area. Now I’m the kind of parent who never wants to own a sandbox because I can’t stand the thought of sand in diapers, all over clothes, and covering my kids arms & legs - I hate my kids getting dirty! But with 2 little ones who LOVE being outside, God is teaching me a thing or two about me being uptight when it comes to my kids being dirty. haha. I know they’re just kids and I should let them have fun - even if it means I am constantly wiping their arms & legs and hands & feet when we come inside from playing. Oh well. So every time we are in the house & get a glimpse of little Jackson across the way, Chloe throws & fit and starts screaming “Ackin! Ackin!” (Since she can’t say “S” or “J” for some reason.) And she yells “See him! See him!” Chris laughs, it’s like Chloe has a little boyfriend and she is begging us to go out & see him. haha. Whenever we go outside, both Chloe & Maya want to immediately run across the street & play. It’s a tantrum whenever we leave Jackson’s house to come home. The 2 other little kids who live directly across from us, like to join us over there sometimes, too, so there are 5 kids running around and all us parents watching them go crazy. So yes, we’ve had some major “play-dates” lately - and I wonder if Jackson’s parents regret having the ‘biggest and best’ play set on the block now! :) I told them they’re going to have to start charging us admission into their backyard. haha. They even feed the kids organic snacks sometimes when we’re there! The other night, I had a pomegranate-mixed berry popsicle (it was ‘spose to be Maya’s, but the coldness of it kinda’ freaked her out!) haha. So I am greatly enjoying getting to know our neighbors better lately and I’m soo glad we live where we do!

After all the non-stop playing outside over the weekend and on Monday, the girls came down with coughs… Maya’s didn’t get very bad - but Chloe’s turned into a bark-type cough - which means I got out the breathing machine and gave her some treatments on Tuesday. But then after naptime, she woke up with a fever - which doesn’t typically accompany her cough… so it had me a little worried... But I heard you shouldn’t necessarily give your kid tylenol every time they have a fever cuz it’s their body’s way of fighting off infection or whatever, so I just let her have her pacifier and sit on the couch watching TV for the next few hours. I had a meeting at Church that night and when I got home & took her temp. again, it was up to 102 and I wanted her to be able to sleep so I gave her tylenol and a breathing treatment before bed and she actually slept pretty well. Wednesday morning she woke up with no fever and acting fine and she is still doing well… so I don’t know what it was. We’re back to playing outside again. :)

Other things happening at our house... Chris hasn’t worked much more in our bathroom since he installed the new tub & shower. We still have rugs covering the ‘cement board’ floor and the walls need to be repaired all over the place. We bought some pretty tile for the floor last weekend, but that has yet to be installed. I don’t know when he’s going to do this… it’s annoying having a messy & unfinished bathroom. Lately he is swamped with work - I don’t know why I say “lately” - he is always swamped, but I just feel like lately I never see him much. He is always running places - and meeting with people about jobs - even on the weekends. It’s getting old. I’ve been waiting for him to change the ‘structure’ of his company for a long time now and I don’t know what will ever inspire him to make changes. He can’t do everything himself forever. He needs reliable, mature employees that he can delegate some of the tasks to.. and he needs a Secretary (namely me). He now has a big work van (a bright yellow, old “DHL” van) which he got by basically trading with a guy for work he has done for him, and the same guy also wants to sell him a really nice used truck - a big F-150 that is in good shape. But Chris’ current truck is a lease and he’s over on the miles and the lease isn’t up for another 9 months, so he doesn’t know what to do… he wants to park it somewhere & try and sell it and then turn it in early, which means we’ll lose money on it, but oh well.

Here’s some exciting news -- only 15 days until we go on vacation!! We leave on Saturday, June 21, for Mackinaw Island. We are staying in Mackinaw City, near the State Park and we’re renting a house on Lake Michigan, along with Chris’ parents and Alex. We have the house until the following Saturday, which makes this our longest family vacation in history!! I’m nervous about that (what will we do for that many days?!) and I'm more nervous about the drive there - about 5 hours or so - but I hope we can leave around lunch time and have the girls fall asleep in the car. Maya is pretty good about falling asleep in the car at lunch time, but I’m not sure if Chloe will fall asleep or not. I don’t know what is going to happen with Chris’ jobs while he’s gone - I have a feeling his phone will be ringing off the hook half the time. Let’s pray about that! Here are some pictures of the house we'll be staying at - hopefully it's just as beautiful in person!





Well I need to end it here for now... Hope you've enjoyed this long update!

No comments: