Saturday, December 13, 2008

Oh, goodness...

Well it's Saturday at 5:00. Maya & I just woke up from naps. Yes, our schedules our pretty out of whack right now. Last night I left work at 5, to rush home so we could make it to our company Christmas party by 6 and a 1/2 mile down the street from the Church where I work, I hit a rock and blew out my front right tire. UGH!!! Chris was racing home to shower & get ready for the party and instead he then raced to where I was. I called the Priest (my "boss") and he drove the 1/2 mile up the road and was going to help me "get the process started" of changing the tire. Well, what an ordeal that was. After a good half hour of frustration and many frozen fingers & toes (um, why do they make it SOO hard to remove a spare tire from a van?!) we gave up and I drove on my rim (YES, I know, not good) back to the Priest's house (they live next door to the Church and it was closer) and parked it there, and we decided we'd deal with it on Saturday instead in order to try & make it to the party at a decent time.


So long story short of our evening: We arrived 45 minutes late to the restaurant & I apologized profusely to many hungry people. :( By the time we got done eating & left it was after 8:00 but most everyone still came over for dessert. The last 2 couple's didn't leave our house until 10:45!! What a long night... I put the girls to bed at 10:15 or so - so that means we all got up a little later than normal this morning.

So after we all got up, Chris cleaned out his truck & loaded the car seats in it and then we were off to do errands & fix the van tire. We didn't get to the broken van till almost noon cuz of our late start, and my idea was to stop at Little Caesar's and get a $5 pizza and then the girls & I could eat pizza over at the Church while Chris changed the tire. The plan worked out well... but the plan to easily put the spare tire on didn't go so well. The jack broke - Chris drove miles to Auto Zone and returned to find the stupid guy had given him the wrong part. He gave up and drove to Sears which was much closer and then returned again (by now the girls and I had eaten our lunch and then decided to go play in the Church's nursery, which was a big hit with them.) Then Chris found one of the lug-nuts was stripped and he tried to remove it to no avail, so after all those trips to the store & wasted time, he gave up and we called a tow truck. UGH - major ugh. Let me tell you, Chris was furious with me on Friday night, and now our Saturday was becoming a major ordeal because of my stupidity and I was SURELY on his bad list... big time! So I felt horrible- I mean I didn't do it on purpose and it could happen to anyone - but husbands don't understand that. They just see the money & their precious time flying out the window and get extremely mad at you. And I feel horrible during it all. So we come home because by then it was 2:00 and the girls were VERY tired... and Chris got a hold of the tow company who thought they could get the lug-nut off (yeah, right) and so Chris had to get back in the truck and meet them at the house. So anyway, the ordeal is done at the moment. Now the van sits at Tireman, waiting to be fixed tomorrow. Chris hasn't even showered since Thursday night - how disgusting is that? He's been living in his thermal overalls.

So here we sit... please say a prayer for us. My tires weren't very old and we hope that somehow it's under some kind of warranty (I know I bought the extra warranty for times like this) but the rim will have to be replaced which I keep hearing is VERY expensive usually.

So that's the story for now...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sorry to hear of that awful ordeal! i'm glad no one was hurt though! doesn't sound like it was your fault though. don't be too hard on yourself! hopefully tomorrow will be better!
Heather

Anonymous said...

Was it like a big rock that popped your tire?! Geesh! That is a crazy story!!! Do you remember when Kelly (the guy) and I were driving the mail truck and were blinded by the sunshine and the ice on the windshield and hit the huge rock on the side of the driveway and popped the tire on the school van?? Yea, rocks and tires happen to everyone! :) Love Em.

Anonymous said...

Was it like a big rock that popped your tire?! Geesh! That is a crazy story!!! Do you remember when Kelly (the guy) and I were driving the mail truck and were blinded by the sunshine and the ice on the windshield and hit the huge rock on the side of the driveway and popped the tire on the school van?? Yea, rocks and tires happen to everyone! :) Love Em.