Tuesday, September 30, 2008

We're falling apart here

So you know that our lives are not going well when you find me drinking coffee in the morning. I’m not a coffee drinker. I thought today I might try a cup with plenty of sugar and see if it gives me some much-needed energy. Let’s hope it works.

Let me start with last Friday. Chris’ General Contracting Co. is working across the street currently at 2 of our neighbors’ houses. One is getting new steps out her backdoor and a new patio.. the other is getting a new driveway, a patio in back, and a brand new garage. Last Friday the big concrete truck came and the guys began the job of filling wheelbarrows with concrete and wheeling it to the backyard to make the patio. It’s a pretty tough job, it’s about 120 lbs. or so in each wheelbarrow… well, of all people, Chris is the one who dumps a load of it, onto the grass, and while attempting to not let it dump, he fell and I’m not sure how, but fell on his chest – and he said it felt like he broke some ribs, along with getting covered in concrete. I told him to go to Urgent Care & get checked out, but not my husband, he had too many other things he had to get done that day. So, come Saturday afternoon, and after my researching about the effects a broken rib could have if not taken care of, he finally gave in and went to Urgent Care. Since there was no visible bruising, and after making Chris do some strange ‘exercises’ with his arm, the Dr. there determined no ribs were broken, he probably just had a contusion and bruising. So that was Saturday afternoon.

Saturday night we went out for dinner to Longhorn Steakhouse – it was truly wonderful… the girls were well-behaved for Grandma & Grandpa and all was well… That is, until Chloe woke up at 1:30 am on Sunday with a fever… it was 103, which freaked me out, since no one in our house has ever had a fever that high before. I gave her Tylenol and she fell back asleep eventually – but she would wake up every half hour.. and she began waking up screaming and saying things that didn’t make sense… I took her temp. again around 4 am and it was now 104. At this point I called the After Hours Care number and spoke to a nurse at the hospital, who asked a zillion & one questions about Chloe & then called our family Dr. and then called me back – she said we should take her to the ER to get her checked out – to make sure it wasn’t pneumonia or a bacterial infection. (We were thinking possibly pneumonia since she’s had this raspy, loose cough for almost 3 weeks now, mainly when she’s sleeping.. and she’s had moments where it sounds like she is wheezing.) Anyway, we tried to get a little bit more sleep before going to the ER, but when she woke up and started telling me that there were painted smiley faces on her ceiling fan, I thought, this is it, we’re going right now. .The poor child was hallucinating cuz her fever was so high. I gave her motrin as the Dr. suggested and that seemed to make a world of difference. When we got to the hospital, of course her temp. was down to 99. The Dr. came in and listened to her breathe but he said it sounded fine. Just to be safe, though, he took some chest x-rays. They came back fine, so they just sent us home, advising us to keep giving her the motrin every 6 hours.

So it was a long Sunday. We missed Church – I had gotten a total of 2 hours of sleep and greatly looked forward to afternoon nap time. Chloe was doing SO much better by 11:00 that we decided to take her & Maya over to Chris’ parents so we could at least get our usual Sunday grocery shopping done. But by the time we returned to Chris’ parents to get the girls, Chloe was covered in goosebumps and complaining she was tired. UGH. The fever returned and was back to 103 again by the afternoon. So of course our much-needed naps didn’t go well – Chloe’s fever was bad, though she was still on the motrin, and she continued to wake up delirious every half hour. It was horrible. I was SOO exhausted. Sunday night we slept alright, though, no more delirious Chloe anymore – I just had to give her motrin in the middle of the night cuz she still had a slight fever.

So Monday morning I felt much better than Sunday since I had finally gotten a little sleep – I even made homemade peanut butter choc. chip muffins for breakfast. In the midst of all this, my body gave in and I got a full-blown cold; a scratchy throat, nose problems and a random cough. Maya’s poor little body has given in as well and she has a cough, too. So, yes, we’re ALL falling apart at this point in the game. But the mornings seem to be good for Chloe – she has no fever, is full of energy, and we even went outside for a bit and watched the dump trucks & concrete trucks do their work across the street. That was TONS of fun for the kids. But by lunch she was exhausted again.. And we all took pretty good naps, so that was nice… but she woke up from nap with a 103 degree fever AGAIN. I finally called the Dr. and said, Is it okay for her fever to still be this high and still going on? They said the usual, keep giving her motrin, and if the fever continued today, to call & bring her in.

Well, here it is Tuesday, and hallelujah, we slept good for the most part last night and I didn’t have to give Chloe ANY motrin for once and the fever is GONE. Praise Jesus! She is still not going into school today, though. I figured it’d be good for her to not be around other kids & she is still very tired. The sad part is that THIS is Chloe’s special week at pre-school. She was chosen to be the “VIP” or “very important preschooler” this week. It means she gets a special chair to sit in and special things to do… and she even got to bring home a special bear for the weekend… and now she’s going to miss 1 of her 2 ‘special days’ while she is the VIP. I feel so bad about that, though she won’t even realize it, I still feel bad. And, today was her designated ‘snack day’ so last night I had to call another parent, whose son was going to bring in snack on Thursday, and we just traded our snack days. What a hassle this all is, I tell ya.

So I think that’s the update for now…. I am needing to go eat some more breakfast – I think all the sugar in my coffee is making me light-headed!

Please keep praying for us…

No comments: