Well, so much for “re-writing” my entry from yesterday. I have a completely different story to share instead….
Last night we were loading the girls in the van to go over to Chris’ parents for dinner and after I got Maya in her car seat, I put my purse down on the floor like I usually do and then closed the door with my other hand, only my hand putting the purse down was still halfway in the car, which I didn’t realize, which means I aggressively pushed & slid the van door right into my left hand! Some metal part of the van went into my index finger - and put a big hole in my finger - and I also smashed my thumb a little, as well. I could see into this hole in my finger and saw something that looked like bone and at this point I think everybody who lives 4 blocks away could hear me screaming. I had never felt such pain (not even in child birth!) Chris told me to run in the house and get ice - and we then got in the car and flew to his parents house, where they raced out, picked up the girls, and Chris and I proceeded to the emergency room. It was SUCH a long drive it felt like! After a forever long check-in process and my finger bleeding everywhere, a nurse brought me some Vicoden and then a boxed lunch so I could eat something before taking the medicine so I wouldn’t get sick from it. We then went to get x-ray’s and amazingly, nothing was broken. I was stunned, Chris was stunned, even the Dr. and Nurses were.. cuz it didn’t look real good! They took me across the hall to the ‘suture room’ -and they said all I needed was 2 stitches in my index finger and all would be fine. I couldn’t believe it - it was a much better prognosis than Chris & I thought - we envisioned me in a cast for so many weeks - but I was still dreading being sewn up!! I’ve never had stitches - so this was a major ordeal for me. She had to stick a needle in my hurt finger like 4 times to numb it before sewing it shut… UGH!!! I think poor Chris almost had a few broken fingers after that - from me squeezing his hand so hard. :) So after 2 hours in the E.R. we went home. I called my family Dr. today to make an appt. to get my stitches removed next Thursday. They said a nurse simply does it, which I’m not looking forward to - the nurses at our Office are mostly young girls that are a little on the ditzy side - great!!
So anyhow, here are my words of wisdom… If you are ever in the market to buy a van - buy one with the automatic sliding doors on the side, which glide shut ever-so-gently with the push of a button, so you will never have to pull the doors shut on your own with great force! The nice nurse commented that if we’d just spent the extra money and got those kind of doors on our van, we would’ve saved ourselves from the huge E.R. bill we’re now going to get!
So, that’s my life in a nutshell. This crazy accident has made me thankful for many things - especially my 2 hands - things aren’t nearly as easy to do with 1 good working hand! But the good news is that my pain is not so bad today and I’m able to avoid taking any more super painkillers and just stick to Ibuprofen. Please keep praying for me and that my hand heals well!
Have a good weekend...
No comments:
Post a Comment