Well, today Chris and I celebrate our 5 year anniversary.. It's unbelievable it's been 5 years already! We've been having some good bonding moments lately and reminiscing on what 'life was like' before children... and at times it's hard to remember! But we've been feeling a little sad about having kids so soon, as we hear about couples in our lives taking these nice trips lately to beautiful places and I just wish it were us! I want to go on vacation and I want to spend time with my husband for a GOOD length of time, just the 2 of us, to rejuvenate our love for one another & our marriage... But we can't - we have kids. We love our kids & wouldn't trade them for anything, but I just wish we would've gotten in a few more trips or vacations just the 2 of us, before we were blessed with our children. Now who knows when we'll ever get to go anywhere as a couple... probably another 10 years! So for those of you with no kids yet, here are my words of advice: cherish these moments, when you can focus solely on one another and nurturing your relationship... enjoy holding hands, cuddling on the couch, watching movies together... and going out to dinner for a nice peaceful meal... all these things, for us, anyway, have fallen to the wayside since we've had children. When Chris and I go 'on a date' - it doesn't matter if we end up walking around Home Depot - as long as we get to hold hands, it makes for a meaningful date night for me. :) The last few nights I've been sort of 'sacrificing' my sleep to stay up late and watch tv with my husband, or just enjoy sitting next to him and being with him, which never happens when the children are awake! And you wouldn't believe the difference it has made in our marriage. Chris even calls me at work durng the day and his voice just sounds a lot more upbeat than it has in a LONG time. So I am convinced that we need to work on our marriage. We need to rekindle the part of our marriage that we lost when our children came along. It is so important. And it is so easy to lose your connection with your spouse, when your focus is turned to your children most of the time instead of one another. Chris and I have even been really good about going on a date, or out for dinner, on a frequent basis, since Chloe was first born... but it's now clear to me that that in itself is not enough. You have to work on your marriage and make time for each other EVERY day, not just one night a week when you leave the house & leave your children with a babysitter. In our situation, I think it will be even more beneficial for our marriage if Chris were to delegate some of his workload to others (including me, by making me the secretary) so that he isn't sitting in front of the computer and stacks of blueprints every single night, and instead we can spend time with each other! What a wonderful thought... and I think it will happen, all in good time...
So, there are my thoughts... Tonight my Mom is going to 'work overtime' and watch the girls while Chris and I go out for a nice dinner. I am excited - I think I'm even going to try & dig out a nice dressy outfit that I haven't worn in a while.. if I can find one that still fits! hehe.
And I'll end this on a thankful note to God - for the wonderful husband he has given me and all the blessings He has bestowed upon us the past 5 years! I am so blessed!
No comments:
Post a Comment