Thursday, December 27, 2007

One step closer...


I can’t believe it’s Thursday already! It sure does confuse things when Christmas falls on a Tuesday. Yesterday I had the day off, so my friend Erin, who is a high school teacher & is on Christmas break, came over & spent some time with me & the girls. That was nice! She gave Chloe that wonderful one-on-one attention she craves & doesn’t get often.. And Erin has the energy I rarely have, so she kept Chloe entertained and laughing all day. It was a good thing and a welcome break for me! :)

Yesterday was also the official start of a new ’trial’ diet for Chris. I received an e-mail from my sisters’ friend telling me about a website to visit, and it is by a Dr. who seemed very knowledgeable, and he lists this long diet that he suggests people try if they are plagued by an eating disorder, gallbladder disease, or irritable bowel syndrome… It was quite interesting… and he was very specific in his listing of what foods to avoid and what foods are okay, and because of that, I decided it wouldn’t hurt to try this diet for a week and see what it does to Chris. This detailed diet/list of food would have been very helpful to have in the very beginning, when the surgeon sent Chris home from the hospital and told him to try a ’low-fat’ diet for a week and then report back to her. She gave him nothing to go by, so we tried to figure out for ourselves what he should or shouldn’t eat, and well, in the end we failed at our attempt for Chris to eat ‘low-fat’ for a week. So then the tests continued on him. Now, I figured that we’d give this diet a week and see if we get any results. What do we have to lose? I am so happy to say that after ONE day of changing Chris’ diet, he has not felt nauseated after any of his meals!! (Hallelujah!) So what does this mean? I don’t know really, but I guess it means that his body is having a hard time digesting fats. On this diet, he cannot eat anything with fat in it really. He has to eat pretty plain stuff - like cooked rice, veggies, fruit, nothing fried or cooked in oil or butter, no lunchmeats, low-fat, whole grain bread...etc. Like, today for lunch he is having a can of tuna in water, straight out of the can (good thing he likes it this way!) and some rice cakes and some jell-o. Yesterday afternoon he ate a whole sleeve of saltine crackers. (This was before we went to the grocery store to buy new food he can have!) So yes, with this diet, he is definitely not going to gain weight, but he is supposedly going to “give his gallbladder a break,” like I wrote before. So I guess after another day or 2 eating this way, perhaps he will call the surgeon or the family Dr. and report to them what we’ve found. I am soo thankful I was told about this website and that we are trying this diet; I think we are one HUGE step closer to figuring out what’s wrong with him!! Keep praying for him!

I need to get back to work now… Have a wonderful Thursday!

No comments: